-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Lutz Jaenicke
Sent: 26 June 2003 13:26
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Problem with X509_set_verify()

On Thu, Jun 26, 2003 at 01:07:22PM +0100, steve thornton wrote:
> I'm using OSSL 0.9.7b ported for an ARM based platform (I'm currently
doing
> the port myself, and it is operational), which uses non-blocking sockets
> (custom version).

I am using OpenSSL 0.9.7b on an ARM based platform myself (Xscale based
Intel IXP425, Linux, if that matters).

> If I run the code below, but with return ok; rather than return 1;
everthing
> works just dandy. But if I try to override the verification by returning
1,
> then the handshake stops there, and the embedded system actally crashes
> irrevocably. I've noticed a few other wierdnesses like this due to the
> platform which I have been able to fix , but I need to know whether this
> happens on an "ordinary" build or not. Testing this myself on vanilla
> OpenSSL is a real pain the way things are set up here.

It does not crash on plain OpenSSL. Postfix/TLS uses a non-blocking setup
like a lot of other applications do and neither I have seen problems like
these nor do I remember any similar report.
Overriding the verification result is exactly the purpose, that the
verify_callback() has been designed for.

I don't know enough about your platform, but no platform should ever crash
due to an application, no matter how buggy the application might be.
Therefore I also don't know what to propose in your special case. Normally
if an application is crashing, I can at least get a backtrace. Even a
crashing Linux-kernel will leave a Panic to be traced. But even if it
would not... printf() is the ultimate debugging aid :-)

Best regards,
        Lutz
PS. Just to prevent misunderstandings: Postfix/TLS and the IXP425 work
are in no way technical related.
--
Lutz Jaenicke                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.aet.TU-Cottbus.DE/personen/jaenicke/