I had tried that as well with no success, which is what is leading me to believe this
is a bug.

In the CSR, I have the emailAddress field set in the DN. In the CA section of the
configuration file, I have subjectAltName=email:move in the section referenced from
the x509_extensions option:

x509_extensions = email_extensions

[ email_extensions ]
subjectAltName = email:move

When the cert. is created, the X509v3 Subject Alternative Name field is set to the
string <EMPTY> and the emailAddress that was formerly in the DN is no longer present.
If I use the email:copy directive, the DN still has the emailAddress field (not
removed), and the X509v3 Subject Alternative Name in the extensions part is still set
to <EMPTY>.

For whatever reason, the email:move and email:copy directives are not populating the
X509v3 Subject Alternative Name with any meaningful data.

--
PGP Fingerprint:
886F 6A8A 68A1 5E90 EF3F  8EFA E2B8 3F99 7343 C1E3