On Tue, Dec 02, 2003, Jia L Wu wrote:

> Hello,
> My question is:
> I created a certificate chain: usr.cert->CA_1.cert->CA.cert.
> where CA.cert is self-signed certificate and is imported as trusted
> certificate.
> Signing CA_1's request with CA's private key and certificate generates
> CA_1.cert.
> Signing usr's request with CA_1's private key and CA_1.cert generates
> usr.cert.
>
> However, when I tried to verify the certificate chain using a third party
> software, I got the following error: "CA_1.cert" is not a valid CA. But
> with certificate chain containing only two certificates:
> usr.cert->CA.cert, the verification is ok.
>
> SO my question is that how can i create a valid intermediate CA?

The default extensions when OpenSSL signs a certificate request for security
reasons are only usable in an end entity EE certificate.

You can however sign as a CA instead by using the appropriate command line
switches. If you are using CA.pl then CA.pl -signCA will do. If you are using
either the 'ca' or the 'x509' utilities then -extensions v3_ca should work.

Steve.
Funding needed! Details on homepage.