> That depends rather heavily on what "hardware key" means. If the
> corresponding ENGINE supports it, you should use
> ENGINE_load_private_key().

I'd like to use a software engine by default and occasionally get a key from
a pkcs#11 engine.
Such a pkcs#11 engine, in order to reteive the private key, makes a call to
PEM_read_PUBKEY(fp, .. .. ..), which, through several calls, calls
RSA_new_method(NULL), and consequently returns the method of the default
engine, which is the software one.
If I could pass an engine structure to the PEM_read_PUBKEY, and tell it how
to get the corresponding RSA, I think that I'll find the solution to my
problem.
Any idea about it?
Thanks

Giovanni Calzuola

Siemens Informatica S.p.A.
via del Maggiolino, 161 - 00153 - Roma (Italy)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]