Thanks Dr. Henson

The link you sent was the one I used to base my
current configuration on. Its enivitable but I have a
few more questions below.

--- "Dr. Stephen Henson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 09, 2004, ray v wrote:
>
> > Hi All!
> >
> > I created an OID section but I'm a little confused
> > with how to use it. My example...
> >
> > oid_section             = my_oids
> >
> > [my_oids]
> > value1 = 1.3.6.1.4.1.9999.1
> > value2 = 1.3.6.1.4.1.9999.2
> > value3 = 1.3.6.1.4.1.9999.3
> >

> > If I specify the -config sample.cnf when creating
> the
> > key, request and certificate this all works fine.
> When
> > I recieved and outside cert request it fails with
> >
> > Error Loading extension section default
> > 10765:error:2207C082:X509 V3
> > routines:DO_EXT_CONF:unknown extension
> > name:v3_conf.c:123:
> > 10765:error:2206B080:X509 V3
> > routines:X509V3_EXT_conf:error in
> > extension:v3_conf.c:92:name=oid_section
> >
> > Being new to this I'm not sure if I'm asking the
> right
> > question. I need to add extensions to certificate
> > during the certificate gen and signing process.
> The
> > oids_section is in the global or default am I
> missing
> > something here? Is there something I'm supposed to
> put
> > in the [req] section regarding the new oids?
> >
> > All help will be appreciate...
> > I'm loosing my hair faster then a cat in October!
> > thanks!
> >

> Well that looks like you are placing oid_section in
> the wrong place. The
> preferred way to add OIDs is via the autoconfig OID
> module which then makes
> the OID names visible to all compliant applications.

Ok this might be a sad indicator about my skill
regarding this matter. Autoconfig is?

Basically all I want to do is use the OID assigned to
my company to include extra data in the example below.
Quite honestly if the VAL1 were seen by other
applications as just the OID = value thats perfectly
ok with me.

O=mycompany
OU=mydepartment
CN=myuser
VAL1=something
Val2=something else
Val3=some number

Can I do this with out patching the openssl code and
compiling special versions for each platform I have?

> Look in the config(5) manual page also at:
>
> http://www.openssl.org/docs/apps/config.html
>
> However you can't automatically add an extension
> just because OpenSSL has a
> name for an OID. The standard extensions have
> support code which can be used
> to translate parts of the configuration file into
> the appropriate extension
> syntax.

Can you translate this into something a lay person
like myself can understand?