Hello and thanks in advance for advice.  I need to quickly come up to speed
using the openssl API.  I have the basic administration knowledge, having
configured web servers (apache) to use SSL, as well as securing pop and imap
with stunnel.

Now I need to actually modify an existing proprietary library to use SSL over a
socket instead of using the socket directly.  I've gone through openssl.org,
the man pages, and Eric Rescorla's introduction to SSL programming.  I'm within
a few hours of finishing  the modifications apparent from these sources but
still fear I am missing something in the big picture.  It's not at all clear
how a BIO is used or needs to be used in this context.  There will apparently
be problems in a multi-threaded environment but the steps to avoid them are
unclear.  Plus a few other basics.

I'm looking for a pointer to more documentation of how to use the openssl API,
I don't really want to read the source or learn the internals.   I have found
the following two references:

SSL and TLS: Designing and Building Secure Systems by Eric Rescorla
Network Security with OpenSSL: Cryptography for Secure Communications by John
Viega, Matt Messier, and Pravir Chandra

Which of these should I buy, or is there a more recommened alternative.

Thanks again,
Ragnar

----
Ragnar Paulson                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
The Software Group Limited
705 725 9999 x21
1.618033989