Hi Edward,

I am guesing that you need to call ENGINE_ctrl() to set the right parameters. These are control commands and each engine has a set of these; to see what control commands are available for the ubsec engine:

        $ openssl engine ubsec -vvvv

Or you could just look into the ubsec engine codes for the definitions.

-Tan Eng Ten

Edward Chan wrote:
Is it required to call ENGINE_init()?

Or is this sufficient

ENGINE* e = ENGINE_by_id(id);
ENGINE_set_default(e, ENGINE_METHOD_ALL);

I have looked in various code, and I mostly see the latter. But in the stunnel code, I see them doing

ENGINE* e = ENGINE_by_id(id);
ENGINE_init(e);
ENGINE_set_default(e, ENGINE_METHOD_ALL);

Also, I tried using a card from nCipher. But when I specify ENGINE_METHOD_ALL, it seems to be failing in the call to ENGINE_set_default_RSA(). When I dig deeper, it looks like it is trying to load ubsec.dll which is missing. I've installed all the drivers that came with the card. Does that mean OpenSSL does not support that card? Or does it mean the card doesn't support RSA operations? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
Ed