On Thu, May 12, 2005, pana wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I want add custom extension to my certificate and I try to insert the
> oid in [new_oids] section and the extension in the [v3_ca] section.
> That's ok.
> I want define my custom extension as a string which I can write when I
> create the certficate.
> How can I do? Do I need write C code or I only need to modify the openssl.cnf?
> I read the x509v3_config(5) manual section but I didn't find the solution.
> Someone can help me?

Depends on what you want to do with the string. If its a human readable string
then you can use UTF8String as the string type. If its binary data with no
clear structre you can use an OCTETSTRING if it is structured you might want
something more elaborate.

You can generate almost arbitrary structures using the mini-ASN1 compiler in
OpenSSL 0.9.8-dev but when you want to parse, display and interpret more
complex forms then you might want to add a custom extension.

Steve.
Funding needed! Details on homepage.