OK, I found out what the problem was: line endings.

I run my Cygwin mounts in binmode, and I used WinZip to extract the .tar.gz, so Makefile.org had \r\n line endings.

Apparently, perl (as of v5.8.7, built for cygwin-thread-multi-64int) was seeing the \r\n line endings. This is normal for people like me who have our Cygwin mounts in binmode.

In this situation, the Configure script will not remove any entries from the SDIRS variable because the Configure script is searching for a backslash followed by an end-of-line (and it would be seeing a backslash followed by carriage-return followed by end-of-line).

I just did a d2u on Makefile.org, and now Configure (and make) work fine. Also, if I had unpacked using gzip/tar instead of WinZip, there wouldn't have been \r\n line endings to begin with.

To prevent this problem from happening to other people, I recommend one of the following options (in order of my personal preference): 1) Put a statement in the readme for Windows/Cygwin users that they should unpack with gzip/tar instead of WinZip if they mount in binmode. 2) Have the Configure script open its file explicitly as a text file. I believe this can be done by passing O_TEXT to an open function. 3) Have the Configure script expect an optional \r whenever it's searching for \n (or $).

Happy coding!
      -Steve