AFAIK, if a close notify is not sent, the the ssl connection termination
is considered premature and the session cannot be reused. The
specification does not define it as a MUST, rather it is defined as a
SHOULD. If session reuse is not a necessary criteria (if your willing to
compromise performance) then server need not send the close notify.

Thanks
--Gayathri

Hi,

If I understand it correctly the close_notify alert is only there to
prevent a truncation attack.  If your higher level protocol can
check that all expected data is present then it is OK just to
close the socket.

To be safe it would be better to call SSL_shutdown() in the client
when it is complete.  In the server you can call SSL_get_shutdown()
when you expect the client may disconnect.  In the server it should
be fine to call SSL_shutdown() anyway.  I don't think the SSL
specification defines whether the server must send a close_notify.

I hope this helps,
Mark.