As long as fipscanister.o is compiled through the means specified in the security policy (basically, "./config fips"), the resulting canister is considered validated for FIPS purposes.

I'll read through IG G.5 and summarize it when I get the chance, probably later tonight -- but I would presume it includes at a minimum:

1) Generates binaries compliant with the ABI for the architecture;
2) Generates binaries that only use the ABI and APIs provided with the architecture;
3) Uses header files that accurately describe the architecture;
4) Generates accurate binaries for the code presented, with no additions or subtractions.

I must stress that at this time this is my own personal belief that is not backed up by having read the long complex document that specifies the precise requirements.

Cheers,

-Kyle H