>Short answer; no. There's more to running an application in FIPS approved mode
>than just
>linking against a properly generated fipscanister.o. Please refer to the
>definitive
>reference, the Security Policy
>(http://csrc.nist.gov/cryptval/140-1/140sp/140sp733.pdf),
> especially sections 4 and 5. The User Guide at
>http://www.openssl.org/docs/fips/UserGuide-1.1.1.pdf may also be of value.
>
>In particular your application *must* actively enable FIPS mode, which is done
>via a call to FIPS_mode_set(). If the OPENSSL_FIPS environment variable is
>set the openssl command does so, but this feature is really only intended
>for testing purposes.
>
>-Steve M.
>
>--
>Steve Marquess

Steve:

So, setting the environment variable OPENSSL_FIPS (giving it any value at all,
or some specific
value like "Y"?) before invoking the openssl command line utility would cause
it to call
FIPS_mode_set(), but that was mainly intended for testing purposes and may be
removed at some
point in the future?

I gather the developers don't think of operating the openssl command utility in
a FIPS mode as
being all that important to their potential users.  Are they thinking most
users are intersted in
developing their own applications that link against fips_canister.o?

That environment variable is just what I need, BTW.  Please don't remove it in
the future.  I am
tasked with backing up logs with sensitive information to DVD media in a unix
environment.  I have
to encrypt the logs with AES 256 and am only allowed to use FIPS 140-2
certified software to do
that (I'm working as a contractor at DHS, actually).  Using the openssl command
line utility in a
FIPS certified mode to encrypt the logs would solve my problem simply and
elegantly.

If I can't do that, I have to use commercial encryption software running on a
Windows machine (my
main choices seem to be WinMagic SecureDoc and WinZip) and transfer the logs to
it from the unix
server they originate on over the local network.  That is many times more
complicated than using
the openssl utility compiled from openssl-fips-1.1.1 (with "config fips") after
setting the
environment variable OPENSSL_FIPS.

Thanks for all your help, BTW, and to the other people on the list who have
replied to me.  You
are all being very helpful.

Chris Marshall