Roy, Anindya (Anindya) wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: Neil Costigan

I have recently used it to work with the IBM Cell processor I'd recommend the GMP engine as a starting point

any specific questions or issues ?

/Neil

Hi Neil,

           Its good to know that I am not alone :). I don't understand
what is GMP engine ?

From my experience the the GMP engine (it is an interface to the GNU multi-precision library) is the easiest starting point to take as a working example.

Its software only and easy to follow to get the basics of the interfaces, calling order and data structures etc.

The process is
- initialize,
- convert parameters to local 'big number' representation,
- process,
- convert results back to openssl bn format
- clean up.

however your problem is a bit more advanced as you are dealing with hardware. If I remember rightly If you look through the engine samples you'll see one or two more examples with similar IOCTL requirements

Basically, I am trying to interface with the Freescale MPC8555. The
crypto driver expects each crypto request be invoked as a  ioctl
callback, where the crypto request is passed as a driver specific
structure pointer. Since the openssl engine does not provide any
interface to do this, this makes me think that I have to write the
mapping of the openssl crypto api's to its equivalent ioctl call. Did you also have to write a similar mapping to make it driver
compatible ?

I think you have guessed correctly.

my problems was not exactly the same but I think the process was similar.
I had to map the openssl engine calls to Cell SPU thread calls and organize DMA transfers of the parameters.

See how you can use the (RSA_CTX?) engine data structures to pass pointers to your own data structures from the initializations through the various calls to clean-up.

have a look at the GMP engine for an example of this

So I was wondering if you could kindly share how to best use the Engine
interface.

if it is of any help
I have a preprint of my work on the Cryptology ePrint Archive http://eprint.iacr.org/2007/061

good luck with it and let us know how you get on.

/Neil

Anindya

begin:vcard
fn:Neil Costigan
n:Costigan;Neil
org:Dublin City University;School of Computing
adr:;;;Dublin;;9;Ireland
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Postgraduate Research Student
tel;work:+353.1.700.6919
tel;home:+353.1.845.9338
tel;cell:+353.87.745.7069
note;quoted-printable:skype : neilcostigan=0D=0A=
	aim : neil671029=0D=0A=
	msn : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.computing.dcu.ie/~ncostiga