Sergey S. Levin wrote:

I dont see any timing code in the middle to separate the timings for the SSL cryptographic setup phase from the application data transfer phase. I think you are doing a piggybacked connection setup so your first application data write is performing the SSL connection setup implicitly.

Does this mean that the OpenSSL lib each BIO_write makes the handshake?

No. But which cpu types/frequencies are involved on both sides of the connection and which cipher suite do you use?
Ciao,
Richard
--
Dr. Richard W. Könning