Hello,
> Well, client initially sends a http request to port 80 and my web
> server redirects the client to use https using 302 http header if SSL
> is enabled in my switch. As a result of that, client would resend
> https request to port 443. However I do not understand why that should
> cause this problem. There is no way ssl_accept function is receiving
> http packet, since it is accepting connections terminating at port 443
> only.
OpenSSL recognizes GET/HEAD/PUT/POST and in case of using http instead
of https you should get such information in your logs
(using HTTP request when SSL handshake is required).
This kind of error may occur when SSL2 client_hello is send to server
and server is configured to recognize only SSL3/TLS1 protocol.
To check this you may disable SSL2 in your browser and connect to
server. Using SSL2 client_hello does not mean using SSL2 to transfer
data, this is kind of protocol negotiation method which may negotiate
TLS1 at the end but server should be prepared to understood SSL2
client hello.
tcpdump packet trace (with data dump) may be helpful too.

Best regards,
--
Marek Marcola <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>