I need to store an alternate string that will identify the subject. I
had originally thought I would be able to use 'othername' as the way to
store it. When I ask for the extension back what I get is the string:

othername:<unsupported>

Which really isn't useful (I would like to get back my original string).

I know I can use CN to store it, but don't like the idea of storing a
string like A.B.C.D... in it. I'd prefer to use the subject field to
store the name of the real subject.

I was wondering if anyone had any possible ways around this? I am using
x509v3 as the standard.

Peace,
Chaz