On Fri, Aug 10, 2007, Elia, Leonard F. wrote:

> I have a question about OpenSSL FIPS mode.
>
> I created openssl using the FIPS module, openssl 0.9.7m, and mingw on
> windows.  It works cross platform with openssl FIPS created on Linux; my
> Solaris 10 version has been shelved for now.
>
> I can encrypt and decrypt out of FIPS mode.
> I cannot decrypt a file encrypted in FIPS mode when I am not in FIPS mode;
> I cannot decrypt a file not encrypted in FIPS mode when I am in FIPS mode.
> likewise, vanilla openssl does not decrypt a file created with openssl
> FIPS in FIPS mode.
>
> I thought FIPS mode just disabled ciphers. Is this the expected and
> normal behavior?  I have verified this on Linux and on Windows, and the
> same holds for cross-platform encryption/decryption.

Depends on the command used to encrypt/decrypt. If it is the default password
derivation in the 'enc' command then note that this uses MD5 for key
derivation. For compatibility OpenSSL uses MD5 in non-FIPS mode and SHA1 in
FIPS mode for key derivation.

Since you cannot use MD5 in FIPS mode you cannot derive the appropriate keys.
You *can* however change the digest used for derivation using the:

-md sha1

command line switch which will then use SHA1 in FIPS and non-FIPS mode. The
two should then be compatible.

Steve.
Funding needed! Details on homepage.