Hello,
> As far as I could see the ASN.1 is used basically to calculate the
> size of the signature (at least on the ecdsa side). So if I know
> exactly the size of the signatures then I can only remove the use of
> the ASN.1?
ECDSA functions works in general on BIGNUM's (packed in some structures)
and ECDSA signature is two BIGNUM's (r,s). If you want to transfer
signature to your peer, this numbers are converted to ASN1 SEQUENCE
of two INTEGERs. Your peer must get this SEQUENCE and convert to
BIGNUM (r,s) and next check signature. If can convert this two
BIGNUMs to ASN1 and from ASN1 to BIGNUMs (which is very ease) then
you will do not need OpenSSL ASN1 module.

Best regards,
--
Marek Marcola <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>