* Victor Duchovni wrote on Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 21:05 -0400:
> > Whatever you want to call it. The point is, if the client
> > can't validate the self-signed cert, you need some other way
> > to make sure the server and client have opposite ends of the
> > *same* SSL connection, rather than ends of two SSL
> > connections to a MITM. A simple way to do this is to compare
> > each sides 'finished' with the other side's 'peer finished'.
>
> No, the challenge is key management. TLS is just fine.

What do you mean, `TLS is just fine'? Doesn't it depend on the
requirements? I think, for key management itself (like
transferring secret keys), TLS is not suited. TLS AFAIK is
limited to one session key (someone could wish one for
authentication and a second one for encryption). Also, because of
asymetric keys, keys cannot be derived (which would be possible
for instance with 3DES keys). Revealing a secret keys can be used
to decrypt pre-recorded chiphertext (AFAIK). TLS can be at most
as good as the PKI (so in standard PC browsers and the many
different CAs that are installed with the many different policies
and stuff this probably is not so much). Ohh, and not to forget
that the X.509 (just BTW, there even is a v1 :)) subject names
are more or less `informal'. Some CA may require a `Ltd' company
to contain the `Ltd' in the subject, others may not or may allow
to omit the country. Today something like a `Extended Validation
Certificate' exist which indicates that there are
fun-level-security certificates that can only be used for the
same level of SSL strength :-)

> If CAs don't solve key management for you, roll your own key
> management, but use existing protocols.

If for some application (not meaning only a computer program) the
"usual" CAs are inappropriate, maybe for this application PKI is
not suited at all, could happen. Maybe I missunderstand you, but
I think, when SSL/TLS is not suited then it should not be needed,
even if with OpenSSL such a nice lib is avialable :)

Or do you mean `existing protocols' in general? Like `do not
invent your own cryptosystem' to avoid designing weaknesses but
favor well-analysed systems?

> I would like to see GSSAPI support in TLS (so would Microsoft
> and a few others). This addresses key management, without
> requiring secondary protocols, and ties into the dominant
> standard intra-mural authentication system. This would use a
> certificate-less cipher-suite, but the point remains that
> authentication should be within TLS, not an add-on.

ohh, now I got so many questions :)

According to Wikipedia, this is an API to standardise how the
application uses something like e.g. OpenSSL, is that correct? Or
is it something completely different? You wrote `GSSAPI support
in TLS' - this would be a standard or would it be an
implementation?

How would it help with key management? Do you mean in this can
you could use any standard GSSAPI-using key management tool?

You said `without requiring secondary protocols', but wouldn't
the implementation of that API be nothing else than such a
secondary protocol (OCSP or so)?

What is meant by certificate-less cipher-suite? A protocol not
using certificates, such as SSL without X.509 certificates at
all? How would the authentication work?

Did I understand correctly that GSSAPI means, that applications
do not depend on the implementation (vendor) of some `GSSLIB' but
that the applications can `talk' via GSSAPI only to some peer if
it uses the same implementation (vendor), because this
implementation can use whatever message to transmit tokes?

Sorry for my boring noob questions but maybe the one or other
could be answered by some URL/link?

oki,

Steffen

About Ingenico Throughout the world businesses rely on Ingenico for secure and
expedient electronic transaction acceptance. Ingenico products leverage proven
technology, established standards and unparalleled ergonomics to provide
optimal reliability, versatility and usability. This comprehensive range of
products is complemented by a global array of services and partnerships,
enabling businesses in a number of vertical sectors to accept transactions
anywhere their business takes them.
www.ingenico.com This message may contain confidential and/or privileged
information. If you are not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the
addressee, you must not use, copy, disclose or take any action based on this
message or any information herein. If you have received this message in error,
please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message.
Thank you for your cooperation.