> Indeed, the problem was with my application.
> I was just using ::select() to see if there was data waiting for me
> to SSL_read off the socket, which I cover to discover is not reliable.

How did you know whether to 'select' for reading or for writing?!

It's always possible that SSL can't read data because it needs to send some
renegotiation information and it can't do that because the send queue was
full at the time.

Is your application still buggy? Are you careful only to call 'select' (for
reading) if an SSL function specifically says it needs to read data from the
socket? Does your code take into account that trying to read data from an
SSL connection might entail waiting until you can *write* data to the
socket?

A lot more code is buggy than you might suspect.

DS