Are you saing that the message shouldn't be send to majordomo?
Here's the welcome message I got from majordomo:
*
Welcome to the openssl-users mailing list!

Please save this message for future reference. Thank you.

you can send mail to <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> with the following

unsubscribe openssl-users

or from another account, besides [EMAIL PROTECTED]:
**
unsubscribe openssl-users [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I think that's quite clear.