> 0x0818dc55 in _init ()
> (gdb) bt
> #0  0x0818dc55 in _init ()
> #1  0x08076a16 in _start ()
>

> Before even reaching main? I upgraded to latest gcc on Sunfreeware in
> case that was the issue.

This problem is known for years. Probably it should go into some FAQ or
installation manual available in the distribution.

Andy Polyakov says it is GCC bug, but
GCC team seems to disagree with him and didn't incorpoprate fix.

Fix is available at http://www.openssl.org/~appro/values.c
and is applicable to several sunfreeware versions and to GCC distributed
with Solaris 10 as well. Haven't tried with recent OpenSolaris yet.