The only thing I would state is that setuid programs, on most UNIXes,
ignore the LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

I would also note that LD_LIBRARY_PATH is NOT universal.  On OSX,
DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH is the equivalent, but there's also other
environment variables which can do the same thing.

And this doesn't even begin to mention LD_PRELOAD.

What's your threat model?  What's your need?

-Kyle H