Have you looked into IPsec?  That might be the best way.

Please respond to openssl-users@openssl.org
Sent by:        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To:     openssl-users@openssl.org
cc:      (bcc: Dan Mitton/YD/RWDOE)
Subject:        Re: network connection encrypted/secure using ssl and
sockets ?!
LSN: Not Relevant
User Filed as: Not a Record

Manuel Sahm escribió:
> Hello,
>
> thanks for reply,...
>
> Maybe you could help me.
>
> Is it possible to use a password instead of a Certification file and a
> Certification Key File to make the tcp connection secure via openssl ?
>
> Thank you

> Manuel Sahm escribió:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I want to make my network connection encrypted/secure using ssh.
> >
> > At the moment I open a socket in my embedded device, so that an client
> > (PC) is able to connect to it:
> >
> > //initialization of the socket
> > handle = socket(AF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, 0);
> > serv_addr.sin_family = AF_INET;
> > serv_addr.sin_add.s_addr = htonl(INADDR_ANY);
> > serv_addr.sin_port = htons(10001);
> >
> > bind(handle, &serv_adr, size_of(serv_adr));
> > listen(handle, 0);
> >
> > In my communication thread I have the functions
> > - accept
> > - read
> > - write
> > - close
> >
> > How is it possible to make my network secure via ssl and the sockets
> > used in the sample code...
> >
> > Thank you very very much
> >
> > Manuel Sahm
> > <http://www.eset.com>
> Hi,
>
> i have never used SSL api directly, only command line but, i suposse you
> want to encrypt the communication under your TCP socket. You need to
> establish a TLS session and, i think your question is too ambiguous
> because i suspect you need to use many functions and data structures
> from ssl implementation. What you want is to establish a complete ssl
> environment and my only advice (a recommendation from a newbie) is to
> read and to study SSL api doc to see your needs more clear.

I think you have a conflict with your ideas. A and B want to secure its
communication. They need to be agree about which key to use. I suppose
you can encrypt the information at the origin using a symmetric key
(aes, des, idea etc) and decrypt ir at destination with the same key. A
and B must know the key. But also i suppose you can establish a ssl
connection to perform a key exchange (key negotiation) using
certificates or public keys (asymmetric keys) without certificates. In
this situation neither A and B need to know about a previous secret.
This is the normal situation of a client-server environment.
If your socket is a TCP socket i think is better for you to establish a
ssl session, more than using a symmetric key. I think symmetric keys are
more suitable for UDP but i'm not an expert and i don't assure anything.