The security fixes should have been installed as part of patch number
137111-06, which is part of that bundle.  0.9.8 is not
binary-compatible with 0.9.7, and any apps linked to 0.9.7 will fail
to run if you remove the 0.9.7 shared objects.

I am not a Solaris guy, but I would suggest looking at
http://www.sunfreeware.com/ to obtain precompiled packages.  The tar
you got at openssl.org/source is source code that must be compiled in
order to run.

-Kyle H