Philipp Gühring wrote:
Hi,

The biggest Problem with the Y2038 problem I see is that most people
believe that it will go away due to the migration to 64 Bit machines.
But this isn't going to happen. We have to start fixing 2038 now, also
for all our 32 Bit platforms, 16 Bit platforms and 8 Bit platforms.

Best regards,
Philipp Gühring

Oh...you mean like these problems (disclaimer: Found on the Internet and taken out of context):

"the magical year "2038" should ring some bells. You know - when all 32-bit clocks roll around to 0. Computers that work tend to not get replaced. Some line of code might be, 'if (lasttime > time()) LaunchNuclearMissile();' thrown in perhaps as a dummy line that some engineer thought would be funny."

"It seems the (linux) world will enter a time tunnel in the year 2038 and spit us back to 1901. http://www.2038bug.com/index.html ... So, while 2038 is a fair way off, the main jist of the 2038bug.com site is for programmers to take this into account especially when programming for ... *nix powered nuclear bomb timers / anything that runs on long term chips for domestic use or whatever."

"It's also been widely reported that the bug might cause nuclear missiles to launch themselves. Accidentally launching a nuclear missile isn't exactly as easy as setting off your smoke detector...."

"The Trident fleet is 14 boats with 12 deployable and armed with the only new missile now being purchased, the Lockheed Trident D5. ... Trident is being service-life extended until 2038 when it will be replace with a new design."

"A very interesting discussion. Does anyone have some information on future US deployments and a possible replacement of the MM-III? I heard something about a replacement planned for 2038."

"Just some stuff to think about as we code our way to 2038. Launch that nuclear missile!"

--
Thomas Hruska