On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 10:19:08AM -0500, Michael S. Zick wrote:
> On Mon October 6 2008, Thomas J. Hruska wrote:
> > Philipp Gühring wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > The biggest Problem with the Y2038 problem I see is that most people
> > > believe that it will go away due to the migration to 64 Bit machines.
> > > But this isn't going to happen. We have to start fixing 2038 now, also
> > > for all our 32 Bit platforms, 16 Bit platforms and 8 Bit platforms.
> > >
> > > Best regards,
> > > Philipp Gühring

Well, that and the problem that it is so hard to get anyone to think
about time formats w.r.t. any time other than "right now".  Already
the idea "31 years from now" is inexpressible.

> > Oh...you mean like these problems (disclaimer:  Found on the Internet
> > and taken out of context):
> >

> Having spent a few years in testing development fuze and guidance systems...
> Don't worry about that one.
>
> If you are seriously concerned, move at least 150 miles away
> from any of the A-List cities. ;)
>
> (50 mile error allowance, 50 mile 100% kill zone, plus room to hide.)
>
> A more likely possibility -
> All of the crypto-locks on the physical facilities will not work,
> nor any of the access cards - nobody will be able to get in.
> Meaning the world will be effectively, totally disarmed.

So long as *none* of the parties fix their clocks first.  We must not
have a clock-width gap! :-)

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Typically when a software vendor says that a product is "intuitive" he