[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I am having trouble installing the current openssl on an older
slackware 10.2 linux distribution.  As indicated below it came
with a /lib/libcrypt-2.3.5.so dated  2005-09-10
I downloaded and tried to install openssl-0.9.8i.tar.gz
As indicated by the directory listings below only part of it seems
to build and install, although I see no error messages anywhere.

Have you looked at the slackbuild script for the openssl package? Both the 10.2 and current versions apply some patches to the openssl source, one of which appears to do something with naming of the .so files.

I'd download the slackware-current sources for the openssl package (it on 0.9.7h, so there'll be some change you need to make for 0.9.7i) and work from that.

Scott