On Thu October 9 2008, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Mike:
> If its inappropriate to reply directly, I apologize!
> But I couldn't resist inquiring if you really think some things
> have changed since 2005?  Just because the entire banking system
> has failed is no reason to think linux would change :-)

Two things that I had in mind when I wrote that. . .
Most distributions where introducing libraries with TLS (Thread Local Storage)
and still carrying compatibility layers to support both thread libraries.

I never followed Slackware, so I don't know where they stood in these
two library transitions - -
But I have seen problems with "clean compile and link" VS "run time problems"
during that period.

Just self testing it runs it against what it was built with (which had better
work)
But it is a library - that does not mean what links to it will not have funky
behavior.

So I was hoping to eliminate all of those possibilities by learning where
your 2005 library stood in the past mix.  You might have one of those
multiple compatibility library installs in Slackware of 2005.

Mike