From: owner-openssl-us...@openssl.org on behalf of Dr. Stephen Henson
Sent: Fri 3/13/2009 5:14 AM
To: openssl-users@openssl.org
Subject: Re: Can't recognize intermediate CA

On Thu, Mar 12, 2009, Rene Hollan wrote:

> True, but (a) it doesn't hurt to have both, and (b) if  the issuer
> doesn't have a SKID, AKID issuer/serial takes the place of an AKID
> keyid.

The disadvantage is that if you want to support more than one intermediate CA
(cross certification for example) and you have issuer+serial in AKID then
you'll get a mismatch with any new CA.

This has caused issues when some people had an intermediate CA expire before
the EE cert.

Technically AKID/SKID should just be a hint as to the correct issuer
certificate which can be ignored but some software (including OpenSSL
currently) requires a match.

Steve.