Can the same process be duplicated without going commercial? I need a
certificate that doesn't use a FQDN for the common name and I haven't found
a commercial one that allows that.

That is my other alternative. If there's a commercial one I can buy that can
have a common name without a . in it OR build a cert from a CSR without
using the private key that generated the CSR I'll take it. I don't have
access to the private key that goes with the CSR.

This is just for a secure management page that is not public. The device
that generated it's own certificate doesn't work with Firefox, but it does
with I.E.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Chuck

You cannot self-sign a certificate without the private key file.  The
private key file is the thing which allows the signature to be
created, the public key (in the certificate) is the thing which allows
the signature to be verified.

Commercial SSL certificates don't require *your* private key file --
they require (and use) their own private key, which is usually stored
on a smart card or something with a higher level of security than a
filesystem.  (Their public keys, which go with their private keys, are
distributed in the form of root certificates.)

-Kyle H