carock wrote:

Can the same process be duplicated without going commercial? I need a
certificate that doesn't use a FQDN for the common name and I haven't found
a commercial one that allows that.

Set up your own CA, and issue your own certificates to your own requirements. The problem then boils down to making sure your CA cert is installed where needed, which is usually not too much of a problem.

A deeper question though is why you would want to give a server a name that isn't a FQDN, even a private one such as "serverfoo.local".

That is my other alternative. If there's a commercial one I can buy that can
have a common name without a . in it OR build a cert from a CSR without
using the private key that generated the CSR I'll take it. I don't have
access to the private key that goes with the CSR.

You cannot generate the CSR without the private key, the private key is an integral part of the CSR process.

Where are you getting the CSR from if you don't have a private key?

Regards,
Graham