OpenSSL FIPS is used essentially as a crypto engine, except that it's
not called through the standard engine interface.

The FIPS module is validated to perform its advertised functions; if
it's in FIPS mode, OpenSSL will use its linked-in OpenSSL FIPS module
to perform all of its cryptographic operations (and should be used in
preference to engines, as well, since a FIPS operational environment
requires all cryptographic operations to be performed within the
bounds of a validated cryptographic canister).

If the OpenSSL library is not in FIPS mode, then it's essentially ignored.

-Kyle H