From this thread, it sounds like relying on the OpenSSL-FIPS canister for cryptography means you can't use hardware cryptographic accelerators through the engine interface, because the crypto would be done in h/w and NOT within the
canister?

I'm assuming if the h/w cryptographic module itself is FIPS-certified, and is accessed through the OpenSSL engine interface, then you could say this "solution" is FIPS certifiable.

Randy

On May 8, 2009, at 6:22 AM, Bill Colvin wrote:

Try:

     export OPENSSL_FIPS=1
     <your command line>
     unset OPENSSL_FIPS

Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-openssl-us...@openssl.org [mailto:owner-openssl-us...@openssl.org ] On Behalf Of Carl Anderson
Sent: May 8, 2009 8:39 AM
To: openssl-users@openssl.org
Subject: Re: relationship between FIPS module and OpenSSL

I was using openssl to encrypt files at the command line and I was
wondering if the FIPS mode could be enabled for doing that.

Carl Anderson

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 6:26 PM, Kyle Hamilton <aerow...@gmail.com> wrote:
OpenSSL FIPS is used essentially as a crypto engine, except that it's
not called through the standard engine interface.

The FIPS module is validated to perform its advertised functions; if
it's in FIPS mode, OpenSSL will use its linked-in OpenSSL FIPS module
to perform all of its cryptographic operations (and should be used in
preference to engines, as well, since a FIPS operational environment
requires all cryptographic operations to be performed within the
bounds of a validated cryptographic canister).

If the OpenSSL library is not in FIPS mode, then it's essentially ignored.

-Kyle H