Hi experts,

I am using the demo files: openssl-0.9.8j/demos/ssl/cli.cpp and serv.cpp
(attached)

Console output from server

[swu...@mpvmpc19 ssl]$ ./serv.out
> Enter PEM pass phrase:
> Connection from 100007f, port c587
> SSL connection using DES-CBC3-MD5
> *Client does not have certificate.*
> Got 12 chars:'Hello World!'
> ---------------------------
>
> Console output from client
> SSL connection using DES-CBC3-MD5
> Server certificate:
>          subject:
> /C=IN/ST=Location/L=City/O=Org/OU=Team/CN=Name/emailaddress=a...@efgh.com
>          issuer:
> /C=IN/ST=Location/L=City/O=Org/OU=Team/CN=Name/emailaddress=a...@efgh.com
> Got 11 chars:'I hear you.'
> ---------------------------
>

> I have generated the self signed certificates using these steps:
>
> *Step 1:* Generate private key
> openssl genrsa -des3 -out privkey.pem 2048
>

> *Step 2:* Create a certificate request
> openssl req -new -key privkey.pem -out cert.csr
>

> *Step 3:* Create a self-signed test certificate
> openssl req -new -x509 -key privkey.pem -out cacert.pem -days 1095
>
> Serv.cpp has :
> #define CERTF  HOME "cacert.pem"
> #define KEYF  HOME "privkey.pem"

What does the statement in red "*Client does not have certificate." *mean?
The client/server are able to communicate, right? Or is there something else
missing here ?

Thank you very much for your help.

--
**