If the 'make test' runs fine, then it's working.  You're asking it to
test the hardware engine acceleration capability with that command
('openssl engine -t'); you didn't ask it to build the engine support
in the original ./config line.

For building apache against it, download the apache source and follow
their instructions, pointing to /usr/local/ssl as the ssl directory.

-Kyle H