Vikram Arwade wrote:

Also is it OK to build using “perl Configure fipscanisterbuild solaris-sparcv9-cc” or do we need to use “./config fipscanisterbuild”? If we need to use “./config fipscanisterbuild” then how do we build on solaris sparcv9 using studio 11?

Not if you're planning to call the result FIPS 140-2 validated. The Security Policy and User Guide are both (IMHO) excruciatingly clear on that point.

You can't use the v1.2 module on a platform for which the module as validated (including the Security Policy build instructions) is not suitable. Those build instructions presume a default build environment for the host O/S distribution, i.e. what you get when you procure and install that distribution in the usual and customary way. Granted, there is a bit of a gray area concerning the nature of that "usual and customary" environment. The installation of standard vendor supplied patches and upgrades presumably does not invalidate the host O/S distribution (I say "presumably" because only the CMVP can make any authoritative judgments). Installation of a vendor supplied optional compiler (where more than one such is available) would presumably also be allowed, as would standard well-known third-party libraries or tools. I'm not familiar with Studio 11 but it does appear to be a vendor supplied and supported development product, so it might be acceptable provided that it is installed in such a way that is constitutes the default compiler, linker, etc., so that "./config fipscanisterbuild" works. Changing the module code or those build command incantations is clearly *not* allowed, period.

Keep in mind that all you need is fipscanister.o itself. Too many software vendors seem to think they have to fit the fipscanister.o build from the source tarball into their own specific internal build process. The CMVP has already staked out a claim on a particular special process leaving little latitude for creative reinterpretation. It may be a lot easier to create fipscanister.o as a separate independent step, as defined and required in the Security Policy, and *then* throw the resulting fipscanister.o into the special ornate and elaborate internal process. It may even be appropriate to image a standalone build machine with a stock O/S distribution just for the purposes of creating fipscanister.o, as that file can then be moved to a non-standard but ABI compatible platform.

-Steve M.

--
Steve Marquess
The OpenSSL Software Foundation, Inc.