I don't know about documented.

If you want to compile the apps/* code in VS, I think you need to
do the whole directory; openssl.c is just a dispatcher that calls
the other 'commands'. If you're using dynamic, I think you need
(a copy of?) ms\applink.c also. But remember the 'apps' mostly just
wrap the -lcrypto and/or -lssl routines, so if you need to look at
much of what is going on, you'll probably need to debug them too.
Unless you only want to look at API-level results.

The last time I did this, 0.9.8g on VC++6.0 (yes, a while ago),
I did commandline (nmake) build of everything including apps,
except I manually added /Zi /Yd to cflags in nt*.mak (they used to
be in util/pl/VC-32.pl but seem to have gotten lost somewhere);
then I created a VS console-exe project with nothing in it, but
in ProjectSettings Debug specified my executable (from the dir
which also contains the .pdb, and the .dll and .pdb if not static).
I could break/step/display fine, but go-to-defn etc. didn't work.