(fairly OT: MS Visual Studio)

>       Thanks Dave. I figured out how to do this. I first built a static
version
> of libeay32 and ssleay32 using ms\nt.mak (added /Zi and removed /Wx in
CFLAGS).
> I then created an empty VS2005 project and added apps\req.c apps\apps.c
> apps\app_rand.c to the project (I had to look into req utility, similar
would be
> the procedure for other tools). I then linked libeay and ssleay to the
project.
> Now everything built fine. But as you said, I am able to
break/stepinto/display
> but cannot do a go-to-defn of any OpenSSL API from my project. When I say
go-to-def,
> it always points to the prototype declaration in a .h file.

Go-to-def (mostly) doesn't use the debug symbols, it uses the separate
but similar "browse info" which normally VS/VC++ arranges to be created.
Each foo.C/CPP file gets a foo.SBR along with its foo.OBJ, and those get
combined into a project.BSC, which I'm pretty sure is what gets used.
I experimented with this some in the past and I *think* it is possible to
make it work for a manual build, but it was never worth the trouble to me.
If you want to pursue this, look for "browse". Good luck.