> You need OpenSSL 1.0.0 at least to create PKCS#12 files without certificates,
> this should work:
>         openssl pkcs12 -export -inkey key.pem -nocerts -out key.p12

Thank you Dr. Henson, I downloaded and installed openssl 1.0.0-beta4
and was able to successful create a private key only PKCS12 file
using your instructions above and import it successfully into Keychain
Access!  :-)

However, I am still unable to import the corresponding certificate into
Keychain Access, using the PKCS12 file with only the certificate, using
the instructions posted from Lou:

        openssl pkcs12 -export -clcerts -inkey midori.key -in midori.cert \
                -out midori-cert.p12 -name "Midori Green"

I am still get the that old "CSSMERR_CL_UNKNOWN_FORMAT" error.

I think that at this stage, the best course of action will be to upgrade my
operating system from Leopard 10.5.8 to SnowLeopard 10.6.* in order to
get the newer version of Keychain Access version 4.1.*.

I can't find any separate downloads for Apple's Keychain Access 4.1.*,
but it is best to try the newest version, since my older 4.0.* may have
an import bug.

Thank you to everyone, especially Dr. Henson, Lou, and Peter for their
many suggestions and info.