Hi All,

> Rene Hollan wrote:
> >
> > Oh, you need to dig deeper, to understand the semantics and
> not just
> > the syntax of those APIs.
> >
> > I didn't say using the source as documentation was
> convenient, but it
> > is possible, to any degree of detail you want.
> >
> > To wit: given the source code, it is possible to create
> documentation
> > to any degree of convenience. But, given some instance of external
> > documentation and no source, it is not possible to improve the
> > convenience factor of that documentation to an arbitrary degree.
> >
> > Suggesting what people who donate their time DO is rather
> like herding
> > cats. Some like coding and others like documenting and some
> like both.
> > Perhaps instead of an admonition that the project needs better
> > documentation, a question regarding who is willing to contribute to
> > said better documentation is more in order.
> >

> unluckily, those of us who most need the docs are least able to
> contribute, as I haven't the foggiest notion how to properly
> use any of
> the APIs at present.   I suppose I need to get the ORA book and start
> reading, as eventually I"m going to be helping another
> development team
> at work with getting an SSL connection going that needs to
> use a client
> certificate stored on a PKCS#11 PKI token, so I'll be sorting
> out how to
> use libssl w/ opensc's engine-pkcs11 module, who's
> documentation is just
> about as non-existant as that of openssl.  this task was very easy in
> Java, as Java's SecureSocket hides all the complexity, up to and
> including full support for PKCS#11 plugins.

The O'Reilly book is essential reading IMHO but it is far from a
complete
guide to OpenSSL.  There are many APIs that it does not mention at all.
It is also quite old now (2002).

I realize that in Open source projects it is hard to find the time to
document
the software but I believe that documentation is an essential part of
any
project, especially something as complex as OpenSSL.

Even if a wiki turnout out to be a better FAQ then it would still be
very useful IMHO.

Is it possible to gain sponsorship for this project or charge for the
documentation,
or make a commercial variant of OpenSSL which can support the open
source
version?

Mark.