As an investor, I would rather have my coders use a product with documentation
to "make progress"
on the actual goals of the product, rather than reverse-engineer the
information they're trying to look for.

With the former method, my cost is (n), with the latter method, my cost could
be unbounded, depending upon
how complex the source code is (i.e., explicit code, or 14 levels of
indirection and C macros that have to be understood).

It sounds like you're making the case for documentation to me....and I agree.

Randy