This is not true. You only have to do path validation up to your trust anchor,
whatever that is, be it a root-ca, an subordinate-ca or even an ee. Only if you
check for revocation you have to walk up the whole chain from ee to root-ca.

Unfortunately, the perceived verification algorithm is a limitation in openssl,
which always wants to do path validation up to a self signed cert, even if no
revocation checking is requested. And no, there's no way to modify its
verification algorithm besides from changing the code.

This also has consequences for applications using openssl for ssl support like
apache, where you can not easily configure to authenticate only those clients
presenting a cert that was issued by a specific subordinate-ca.

Patrick Eisenacher

Besuchen Sie die Bundesdruckerei auf der CeBIT 2010 vom 2.-6.3.2010, Halle 9,
Stand D80
Visit Bundesdruckerei at CeBIT, exhibition centre, hall 9 / stand D80

weitere Informationen unter:
http://www.bundesdruckerei.de/de/unternehmen/untern_cebit2010/index.html
find more information here
http://www.bundesdruckerei.de/en/company/comp_cebit2010/index.html