As somebody who audits CAs for purpose of them getting into trusted root
list, this is what you have to do:
a) Obtain WebTrust for certification authorities or ETSI 101 456 standard (+
EV guidelines from cabforum.org)
b) Implement systems in line with one of these standards. Not cheap. HSM
devices alone cost $10k & upwards.
c) Get somebody who is trustworthy (think accountants or one of Big 4
auditor companies, i recommend KPMG as I work for them) and/or webtrust
accredited auditors (who can certify) to audit you. First time you will
almost fail, but if the auditor is an advisor, he'll help you through. Not a
cheap thing to do either.
d) Submit your application to microsoft trusted root list program, mozilla,
opera and everybody else. MS has deadlines on march and september for
submission
e) Every  12 months, repeat audit.
f) Ask yourself, do you really need it and get maybe some CA to cross sign
you.

--
Konrads Smelkovs
Applied IT sorcery.