Thanks Mark, that was an extremely helpful explanation.   When I asked
this question I was hoping to learn if CA certs are self-signed or if
there is some other procedure to authenticate a CA cert as being
legitimate.  From your explanation it sounds like all CA certs are
generated by the CA itself and then its left up to every browser
vendor whether or not they want to include a particular CA's cert in
its bundle.