Hodie V Id. Aug. MMX, Jakob Bohm scripsit:
> On 08-08-2010 01:13, Dr. Stephen Henson wrote:
[...]
> >It depends on what you mean by "in". Support for SHA-2 algorithms is in
> >OpenSSL 0.9.8 and later. The algorithm can be used in certificates and CMS
> >for
> >example.
> >
> >Since OpenSSL doesn't currently support TLS 1.2 it will not be used for TLS
> >ciphersuites since none in TLS 1.1 or earlier use SHA-2 algorithms.
>
> I believe this is an unfortunate reading of the RFCs.  Fundamentally,
> the SSL3/TLS protocols do not tie the availability of a cipher suite to
> the version of the protocol document which was current when it was
> introduced.  The fact that the most common cipher suites are defined in
> the same documents as the protocols themselves really should not be
> treated as more important than the fact that there is a single IANA
> registry for these values.
>
> Formally: RFC2246, RFC4346 and RFC5246 all refer to IANA for the cipher
> suite list.

RFC2246 doesn't refer to this IANA registry (RFC2434, a later one).
RFC4346/5246 do.

> IANA's cipher suite list refers to different RFCs for
> different suite values, including RFC2712 and RFC5246.  The cipher
> suites so defined are thus equally applicable to the TLS versions (1.0,
> 1.1 and 1.2) defined in RFC2246, RFC4346 and RFC5246 unless there is
> a cipher suite specific reason not to use them with specific TLS
> versions.
>
> Of cause using an SHA-2 based cipher suite with TLS 1.1 or older implies
> that the keys will still be created from a master secret produced using
> the old MD5/SHA-1 PRF.  But at least the HMACs for the data will be done
> with SHA-2 , thus limiting the attack surface for exploiters of SHA-1
> weaknesses.

This is not possible, as the ciphersuites defined by RFC5246 all
use P_SHA256 as the PRF (paragraph 1.2).
In paragraph 5, it is said "New cipher suites MUST explicitely specify
a PRF and, in general, SHOULD use the TLS PRF with SHA-256 or a
stronger standard hash function". That's precisely what is done, since
new ciphersuites use P_SHA256 as the PRF. Using the old PRF with the
new ciphersuites is not standard at all.

--
Erwann ABALEA <erwann.aba...@keynectis.com>
Département R&D