Thanks for the suggestion, but I've already tried that, more or less....
My web server config already has that mime type configured, and the client is capable of recognizing the properly served filetype. I've tried installing certificates through IE's wizard automatically in such a way... as well as manually in it and other browsers (downloading certificate and importing). My primary skills are that of webmaster (using that word should tell how long I've been in that game! <grin>), so I am aware of how much the browsers vary in doing things... which is why I tried every way of installing in every browser I have. I agree with you about the latest versions of MSIE and that stupid wizard they now use!

I'm pretty sure it something in my generating keys, rather than client issues.