Hi Steve:

Please see reply inline.

On 2010-11-23, at 2:41 PM, Dr. Stephen Henson wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 22, 2010, Patrick Patterson wrote:
>>
>> I believe that an indirect issuerLogo SHOULD be encoded in openssl.cnf as:
>>
>> [extra_extensions]
>> 1.3.6.1.5.5.7.1.12              = ASN1:SEQUENCE:logotype_ext
>>
>> [logotype_ext]
>> issuerLogo=EXPLICIT:1,SEQUENCE:logotype_indirect
>>
>> [logotype_indirect]
>> refStructHash=SEQUENCE:HashAlgAndValue
>> refStructURI=SEQWRAP,IA5STRING:http://some.valid.url.here
>>
>> [HashAlgAndValue]
>> hashAlg=SEQUENCE:logo_algid
>> hashValue=FORMAT:HEX,OCTETSTRING:ebd6c473fe37a0f90f2c4c654bf4d4087ab45fc
>>
>> [logo_algid]
>> capabilityID = OID:sha1
>> parameter = NULL
>>
>> (and please ignore the fact that I've mangled the value of the sha1 sum)
>>
>> Should the above actually encode the extension correctly, or is there
>> something additional that I need to do for the CHOICE. The other thing is to
>> know is if anyone knows whether, for implementation of 3709, if
>> AlgorithmIdentifier parameters really should be NULL, or omitted.
>>

> For something that complex I'd normally code up a test module to check it was
> parsed correctly and ideally have a few examples as well.
>
> I can see at least two problems with the encoding above.
>
> You have the outer explicitly tagged issuerLogo field but you haven't tagged
> the choice option logotype_indirect which needs an implicit tag (taken from
> RFC3709 definition).

Ok - what would the syntax of that be? I don't think that I can do:

[logotype_ext]
issuerLogo=EXPLICIT:1,EXPLICIT:1, SEQUENCE:logotype_indirect

Can I?

> Also refstructHash is a SEQUENCE OF HashAlgAndValue and HashAlgAndValue is
> itself a SEQUENCE so you're missing a SEQUENCE tag there, since you've only
> one element a SEQWRAP should do fine.

Ok - so guess that that has be done as:

[logotype_indirect]
refStructHash=SEQUENCE:HashAlgAndValueSeq
refStructURI=SEQWRAP,IA5STRING:http://some.valid.url.here

[HashAlgAndValueSeq]
seq=SEQWRAP:HashAlgAndValue

Correct?

> For SHA1 it is normal to omit the NULL in more modern specs but any decoder
> should tolerate a NULL or absent parameters.

Ok - thanks for the clarity here.

---
Patrick Patterson
Chief PKI Architect