Hi:

I need to sign a challenge string using the private key present on a smartcard.
 The smartcard has a PKCS11-compliant library and I have been able to open the
card etc with the PKCS11 driver.

Now I would like to sign a message in PKCS7 format to be sent elsewhere for
verification. That verification is going to happen on a server running .net
using the System.Cryptography.Pkcs.SignedCms class.

Whilst I can find reference on the net to openssl being able to create PKCS7
signed messages, and also plug in a PKCS11 provider I can't find any good
example code for either, and being a beginner at openssl I don't really know
where to start.  Do I need to use the open-sc PKCS11 engine?

Can someone point me to some good examples that I can follow, or outline what
I'll need to do to put together what I would imagine is quite a simple process
"when you know how" :-)

Best wishes

James

James Berry
Chief Technical Officer

Advanced Health & Care
Unit 4 Eurogate Business Park, Ashford, Kent TN24 8SB
m: +44 (0) 7768 021031 t: +44 (0) 1233 722700 f: +44 (0) 1233 722701
www.advancedcomputersoftware.com/ahc<http://www.advancedcomputersoftware.com/ahc>

________________________________
Advanced Health and Care Limited part of Advanced Computer Software Group.
Registered in England at Munro House, Portsmouth Road, Cobham, Surrey, KT11
1TF. Registration number 02939302
This message (and any associated files) is intended only for the use of the
stated recipient and may contain information that is confidential, subject to
copyright or constitutes a trade secret. If you are not the intended recipient
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, copying or distribution of this
message, or files associated with this message, is strictly prohibited. If you
have received this message in error or are not the intended recipient please
notify us immediately by replying to the message or calling 01233 722700 and
deleting it from your computer. Any views or opinions presented are solely
those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of the company.
We advise that in keeping with good computing practice the recipient of this
email should ensure that it is virus free. We do not accept responsibility for
any virus that may be transferred by way of this email.
Email may be susceptible to data corruption, interception and unauthorised
amendment, and we do not accept liability for any such corruption, interception
or amendment or any consequences thereof.