On 06/30/2011 11:25 AM, James Berry wrote:

Hi:

I need to sign a challenge string using the private key present on a smartcard. The smartcard has a PKCS11-compliant library and I have been able to open the card etc with the PKCS11 driver.

Now I would like to sign a message in PKCS7 format to be sent elsewhere for verification. That verification is going to happen on a server running .net using the System.Cryptography.Pkcs.SignedCms class.

Whilst I can find reference on the net to openssl being able to create PKCS7 signed messages, and also plug in a PKCS11 provider I can't find any good example code for either, and being a beginner at openssl I don't really know where to start. Do I need to use the open-sc PKCS11 engine?

That is the best -if not only- option, in my opinion.
I'm sorry but I cannot provide sample code, anyway you can also automate the procedure by using OpenSSL with a batch command and writing a proper openssl configuration file.

Can someone point me to some good examples that I can follow, or outline what I'll need to do to put together what I would imagine is quite a simple process "when you know how" :-)

Best wishes

James